Saturday, March 30, 2013

Morally Compromised Degenerates

I read an article a couple of days ago published because of the whole Supreme Court same sex marriage deal. It was about the show Modern Family and how Steve Levitan, who is one of the creators of it, was proud of this show if it had anything to do with helping the gay movement. It was a nice little read, but what struck me were the below comments.

People wrote some pretty disconcerting comments about that family. One said it sets a horrible moral example, one actually said they were degenerates and another asked whether you can have a real family if you’re gay.

These comments bewildered me, because I have a brother who is gay. I and the rest of my family consider his partner a part of our family. He’s my brother-in-law, and I don’t care what the law says. We are a real family.

I guess in some people’s eye’s my family is morally corrupt. Well, here is some more ammunition for those people. I have a lesbian cousin too. She has a partner, who I consider a cousin. They have three boys together. I wonder if that makes our family morally reprehensible.

Oh and here is something else to chew on. My family was interracial before it was the norm, because I have cousins who are Dutch and Indonesian. Now we have Mexican in our family. But then in California, who doesn't have Mexican in their family?

On the outside, I guess we look like a rainbow of colors. However, when I look at my family, I don’t see any of that. All I see are friendly loving people who care about each other. We’re like all other families. We argue, fight, laugh and cry. We celebrate each other’s victories, and come together in times of pain. I am lucky and proud to be a part of it.

These people are valuable to me. We are a real family. As for degenerates, I’m probably the only one who fits that description, and I’m straight.

I know I should be above it and not address these stupid comments made by stupid people. I shouldn't give these ignorant people that satisfaction. However, if we never address ignorance, how do we get rid of it?

Oh well. Happy Easter! I'll be spending it with my morally compromised degenerate family.

No comments:

Post a Comment